Summer is the time of the year people get to enjoy warm weather, picnics, blueberries, swimming, fishing and many outdoor activities. But, it is also the time when sunburn can become trouble for you. However, it can also affect you in other seasons too. Sunburn is caused by harmful ultraviolet rays of sun. Too much exposure to the sun can lead to problem of sunburn and also damage your skin. Sunburn can lead to redness, itchiness, pain and blisters to the skin. If you suffer from sunburn, you can try our best 10 home remedies for sunburn.
1. Baking soda -: Baking soda is alkaline in nature which helps it to treat sunburn effectively. It has also antiseptic properties that relieve the itchy sensation associated with sunburn. You need to fill your bathtub with cold water and add 1 cup of water in baking soda in it. Soak in the water for 15 minutes and after that pat dry your body. You can repeat this twice in a day until you get positive result.
2. Aloe Vera -: There is no surprise here that aloe Vera has the ability to soothe hot, red and irritated skin. It is cool, soothing and seems to suck the sting and redness right out of your sunburn. You can easily grow it at your home. Simply extract some aloe Vera gel from aloe leaf and apply to the affected part. It will reduce the redness and inflammation of your skin. You can repeat this activity as per your need.
3. Cool compress -: To reduce inflammation, pain and redness, you can try cool compress on the affected areas. Cool compress helps to constrict the tiny blood vessels, which in turn will reduce inflammation. Simply wrap a handful of ice cube sin a cotton cloth and apply to the affected parts. Hold for few seconds as long as it cool. You can apply it several times a day to relieve discomfort.
4. Apple cider vinegar -: Apple cider vinegar is one of the powerful ingredient which can soothe and reduce inflammation of your skin. Acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar helps to ease the itching, inflammation and also heal your skin quickly. You just need to take a simple step, mix equal amount of apple cider vinegar and cool water. Soak paper towels in the solution and place them on the affected parts. Repeat several times a day until your condition improves.
5.Black tea -: Black tea is rich in antioxidants which help to soothe irritated and sunburned skin. Black tea has tannins that help protect the skin from the damage of harmful ultra violet rays. It also aids in maintaining the pH level of the skin. Simply make some black tea and let it cool down. Soak a cotton ball in the tea and apply to the affected part for some time. Apply three to four time in a day and do not to wash it off.
6. Oatmeal -: Oatmeal is also a good home remedy for treating sunburn problem. Oatmeal has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties which help the skin to retain its natural moisturizer and reduce irritation. You need to cook oatmeal with enough water until it has runny consistency. Let it cool completely then apply to the affected parts. Remember this, do not rub oatmeal to your skin. Leave it for half an hour to the affected part then wash it off with lukewarm water.
7. Potato paste -: Potato has been known as a pain reliever throughout the years. It helps to reduce inflammation, scratches, redness, pain, discomfort and irritation caused by sunburn. Some people says that potato juice is good for relieving sunburn while some says that its slices help to reduce pain. Well, you can try any of the method among them because both are effective. Simply apply potato juice or thin slices of it to the affected part and see its magical effect on sunburn.
8. Mint -: Mint naturally soothes and cools the sunburn’s affected parts. It relieve pain, reduce inflammation and heal the damaged skin when applied topically. Boil some mint leaves and extract the water from it. Apply this water to the areas where you got itchiness and pain. You can further add black tea or green tea in it for getting effective results.
9. Milk -: Milk is considered as a best ingredient for treating the sunburn. For better result, you have to keep a can of evaporated milk in hand. It is inexpensive and can keep in the pantry because it’s cool enough to apply on hot and irritated skin. You can simply soak a cotton ball in the milk and apply to your affected skin. It will provide a protein layer that will soothe the discomfort.
10. Cucumber -: Cucumber is effective enough that it will soothe your irritated skin instantly. Its antioxidant properties help to heal the skin. Simple thin slices of the cucumber can give you relieve from the sunburn. You can also apply cucumber juice and add honey, aloe Vera gel and cornstarch for better result.